Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor - Martyr can be fun to play if you don't know what you're doing but eventually, you'll want to optimise your gear and abilities to become as strong as you can be. In this guide, I'll describe an optimal mid-level build for the Psyker.
For the record, I'm rank 44 and I can take on missions 250 power rating above me in less than 10 minutes.
Overview and Requirements
For this guide, we'll be using a Pyromancy build. For the skill choices, we'll spend our skill points on things that increase our damage the most. We'll also be stacking critical hit chance and damage by completing the critical hits tree and using Digital Weapons.
You only need to be at level 15 to unlock all of the psychic powers that you need but there are a couple of other requirements that you'll want to get which will likely take much longer but I'll get into that in a bit.
All you need to worry about is using gear with the highest power rating. When you reach rank 40, gear you find stops getting better so you can then worry about useful attributes like increased damage or all resistance.
Your weapon should be a pyrokinetic staff as it deals AoE (area of effect) ranged damage instantly and is a great source of damage. For the Wargear, try to pick up Digital Weapons as they increase your critical hit chance.
Another useful item is the psychic focus which unlocks another psychic power slot. As I mentioned in my review, the psychic focus has an issue in the PS4 version where it can make it impossible to complete some missions but I didn't have any problems during any of the story missions. Keep that in mind when choosing your equipment.
By default, you have three psychic powers (four with a psychic focus). Here are the abilities I use for my build and my modifications:
- △: Warp Speed (Deny the Warp, Speed Boost, Damage Boost)
- ◯: Fiery Form (Enlarged Area, Speed Boost, Damage Boost)
- R2: Inferno (Enlarged Area, Exploit Weakness, Phase Through)
- [If you're using a psychic focus] L2: Firestorm (Enlarged Area, Exploit Weakness, Phase Through)
Here are some more useful abilities that are worth mentioning so use them if you want:
- Levitation: increases your movement speed and avoids traps but it needs to be micromanaged because you can't use anything else with it
- Telekine Dome: buffs your other party members, a must-have for 4 person parties
- Endurance: grants 15% damage reduction (in case you're dying too much)
- Spontaneous Combustion: a nice alternative to Firestorm but it doesn't do much more than the pyrokinetic staff's basic attack
The following list of skill trees is ordered from most to least important (if you don't have one of them unlocked then go down the list until you get to one that you have unlocked):
- Get Armor Piercing from Psychic Debuffs; it only requires one skill point!
- Max out Heat Attacks which requires you blow up 250 containers but it's the crux of this build
- Max out the Puritan tree: to unlock this, you need to go through the story and choose every Puritan morality choice which will involve the execution of a couple important story characters but who cares about that, right? Unfortunately, I chose Radical once so I don't have this tree unlocked...
- Complete the Psychic Combat tree for many useful ability modifications and 20% extra damage for force weapon attacks
- Complete the right half of the Movement skill tree for the cooldown reductions
- Max out the Critical Hits skill tree and use Digital Weapons for even higher critical chance
- Pick up the critical chance bonuses from the Ranged skill tree
I prefer the Resilience attributes because you can get very useful passives like movement speed and all resistance.
You can choose three perks: the first at rank 1, the second at rank 15, and the third at rank 30. There are nearly 50 available perks and I don't currently have all of them unlocked. In this list, I'll tell you which ones I use and the reasoning behind it:
- Keen Fury: this perk adds 1% critical chance and damage for 5 seconds after each kill (our critical chance and damage are so high already that anything more is welcome)
- Close Quarters Gunnery: this perk gives 25% more damage against targets at medium range; simple but effective
- Force Weapon Mastery: provides 15% extra damage to force weapons for 5 seconds and it's stackable up to 10 times (if this is correct, that means you can gain 75% extra damage or more with a pyrokinetic staff just by attacking continuously)
Choose Puritan. Don't pick Radical because the Puritan skills are simply better in a broader variety of situations.
Not only is this a strong build, it's a very easy one to play. All of your psychic powers are passive so the most difficult part is making sure that you have all of your buffs and abilities active. As a reminder; activate Warp Speed, Fiery Form, Inferno, and Digital Weapons before getting into a fight. After that, either keep your distance or let enemies get close so Fiery Form can do its work. Regular enemies should get one-shot killed easily so you only need to worry about champions and commanders.
The weakness of this build is that you don't have much survivability. I got one-shotted by some commanders during difficult missions. If you're having trouble surviving then you can use a helpful defensive ability like Endurance instead of Fiery Form. Heavily armored enemies are also quite annoying but we have Inferno with Phase Through to help deal with them.
After I finished with this build, I was able to take on missions that were 250 power score higher than my rating and even higher when using temporary items like Destruction Amplification. However, I'm fairly sure that this build can be improved still so be sure to leave feedback in the comments section below if you have any suggestions.